index and links to our previous months' newsletters



Check out our Directory of Affiliated Offices or click on our Map of the United States to find a CPA near you who specializes in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.


Sign Up to Receive Our Monthly Newsletter Via E-mail

Enter your email address below to receive our monthly tax newsletter:




If you're a CPA who provides tax planning and preparation services to young health care professionals, and you’d like to find out more about The MDTAXES Network, please give us a call at  (800) 471-0045 or e-mail us at info@mdtaxes.com. (Don't forget to include your mailing address.)


Second Annual MDTAXES Conference

We'll be hosting our second annual MDTAXES conference, exclusively for our member CPA firms, in Washington, DC, on Friday, October 17th.  During the conference, we'll focus on various tax and financial planning issues applicable to young health care professionals.

All CPAs who are members of The MDTAXES Network are invited to attend.  For information, please e-mail us at info@mdtaxes.com.


Looking for a Lawyer or a Financial Advisor?

Check out our Directory of Lawyers to find an attorney familiar with the issues that affect you and your colleagues, and our Directory of Financial Advisors to find an experienced professional who can help.


September, 2003


by Andrew D. Schwartz, CPA

On a scale from one to ten, with one being your dream vacation and ten being a root canal without any pain killers, most people would agree that being audited by the IRS is at least a nine and a half.

The good news is the IRS doesn't audit many taxpayers these days.  As a matter of fact, between 1990 and 2002, the IRS only audited two tax returns prepared by my office. 

The bad news is it appears that the IRS has begun auditing more people.  This past spring alone, three of our clients were audited.  Don't get too worried, however, as we have more than 1,700 clients, so the chance of getting audited continues to be quite small.

If you're unlucky enough to be selected for audit, what steps can you take to minimize the additional taxes, interest, and penalties you might owe as a result of the audit?  For starters, the IRS will compare all of the deposits you made into your bank accounts with the income you reported on your tax return.  If more money showed up on your bank statements than you reported on your return, be prepared to explain why.

The agent will then ask you to substantiate the deductions you claimed.  First, they will want to see receipts or other proof of the amounts you're deducting.  Even though it's a pain in the neck to file away all of your receipts, they definitely come in handy if you're ever audited.

Then, if you claimed business deductions on your tax return, you'll be asked to prove why each expenditure qualifies as an "ordinary and necessary" business expense.  Here's how to substantiate some of the more aggressive deductions:

Business Meals

When deducting business meals that didn't occur while traveling outside the general vicinity of where you live, be prepared to document the time, place, business purpose and amount of each separate expense.  Get in the habit of keeping your restaurant receipts and jotting down that information.

Business Travel

Expect to be asked the business purpose of each trip you're deducting. 

Home Office Deduction

Even though it's now easier to claim the home office deduction, the IRS still hasn't embraced this deduction.  Be prepared to show that a portion of your home was used regularly and exclusively in connection with your business that year.  Keeping a photograph of your home office in your tax file is probably a good idea.

Automobile Expenses

This is another deduction the IRS always wants you to prove.  Maintaining a log, or jotting down your business miles on your calendar or PDA, is a must.  Also, don't forget to note your odometer reading on January 1st of each year.

Business Gifts

Did you know that business gifts are limited to $25 per person per year?  (You can give up to $25 to as many people as you like, however.) If you're deducting gifts, the IRS will request a list of people who received business gifts from you during the year, and the value of each gift given.

Non-cash Contributions

When you donate clothing and household items to a charitable organization, you can claim a deduction based on the fair value of the items donated.  Even though you don't need to obtain a written appraisal if you're claiming a deduction of less than $5,000, the agent will ask you to prove how you came up with the value of your deduction.  Being able to provide a detailed list of the items you donated, along with the value of each item, is generally sufficient.

Form Over Substance

During an audit, form is usually just as important as substance.  Being able to provide paperwork to support your deductions, and having the right answers for the agent's questions, generally go a long way.



A lot is new!!!  And it's all good!  Check out the memorandum issued by the U.S. District Court in Minneapolis and you'll see that the court found that medical residents and fellows might not be subject to FICA taxes in many instances.

For more information, go to our February, 2001 Newsletter or read through the IRS' Chief Counsel Advice Memorandum on this issue.



by Andrew D. Schwartz, CPA

When it comes to your taxes, are you a do-it-yourselfer? With tax preparation software costing less than $50, and an abundance of tax information available over the internet, it's very tempting to prepare your own taxes each year. 

Before you start inputting all of your information into the tax software next winter, however, answer this one question.  How have you done keeping abreast of the recent tax law changes?  During the past three years, President Bush signed two huge tax-cut packages into law.  And to complicate your tax planning further, the 2003 Tax Act is scheduled to sunset in 2008, and the 2001 Tax Act is scheduled to sunset in 2010.  That means that the rules will change at least two more times before this decade is over.

If you prepare your own tax returns, are you comfortable that you're not paying more than your “fair share” of taxes?  Since tax professionals generally keep current with the tax law changes, and see what their other clients are doing to save taxes, they should be able to advise you on what you can do to minimize your tax burden.

And do you want to be on your own if you need to deal with the IRS?  Maybe you received a notice from the IRS regarding some information reflected on your tax return.  Or perhaps you're one of the unlucky ones selected to be audited.  Whatever the reason, by having a relationship with a tax professional, you'll have the option of asking that professional to correspond directly with the IRS on your behalf.

To find a CPA who is familiar with the tax issues that affect you, go to our Directory of Affiliated Offices or click on our Map of the United States.



ING DIRECT makes $aving money simple! Open your account online today and start earning higher interest on your savings. No Fees and No Minimums!




Income Taxes

Saving and Investing



  • 3rd qtr estimates due 9/15/03

  • SIMPLE/IRAs need to be set up by 10/1

  • Good time to meet with insurance specialist to review your life & disability insurance


2002 & 2003 TAX FACTS

  • For 2002, the standard deduction for a single individual is $4,700 and for a married couple is $7,850. A person will benefit by itemizing once allowable deductions exceed the applicable standard deduction. Itemized deductions include state and local income taxes, real estate taxes, mortgage interest, charitable contributions, and unreimbursed employee business expenses. Our February, 1998 newsletter addressed the issue of itemizing your deductions.
  • For 2002, the personal exemption is $3,000. Individuals will claim a personal deduction for themselves, their spouse, and their dependents. 
  • The maximum earnings subject to social security taxes has increased to $87,000 in 2003 from $84,900 in 2002.
  • The standard mileage rate is $.36 per mile for 2003, down from $.365 per mile for 2002. Deducting automobile expenses was addressed in our February, 1996 newsletter .
  • The maximum annual contribution to a 401(k) plan or a 403(b) plan has increased to $12,000 for 2003 from $11,000 in 2002.  And if you'll be 50 or older by December 31, 2003, you can contribute an extra $2,000 into your 401(k) or 403(b) account this year.
  • The maximum annual contribution to your IRA is $3,000 for 2003 and 2002.  And once you turn 50, you can contribute an extra $500 into your IRA this year.


copyright - 2003 - The MDTAXES Network

Tax and financial planning calendar for September, 2003

Interact with our CPAs everyday on The MDTAXES Message Board

Join our Live Tax Chat on the first Wednesday of each month at 9 pm (eastern time)

The Millionaire Next Door.  Find out the habits of America's wealthy. You'll be surprised at who comprises the bulk of America's millionaires.

Organize Your Finances with Quicken 2001 in a Weekend

Both these books are available at Barnes&Noble.com.

If you have a friend, colleague, or family member who is always bragging about things they have done to cut their taxes, then check out our new gift items with the saying - "Everything is deductible...until you get audited!"


Are you taking advantage of these reduced rates?  Lower rates will help you cut down on the time it takes you to get out of debt by minimizing the interest you pay each month.  Remember, the lower the interest rate, the larger the portion of your monthly payment that will get applied against your outstanding balances.

  • If you're carrying a balance on your credit cards, there are plenty of opportunities available to cut your interest rate.  Check out CardOffers.com to find the best deals available.

  • If you still owe student loans, see how much you'll save by consolidating your loans into one loan with a lower interest rate at FinancialAid.com.



You work hard to keep your credit report as clean as possible. Even so, the current credit reporting system allows for incorrect items to appear on your report that could adversely affect your credit score. Make sure that the information on your credit report is accurate by ordering a free copy of your credit report on-line at  OnlineCreditInfo.com or by purchasing a merged credit report reflecting information from all three credit reports at 130secondreport.com.



Insurance.com - Life Insurance Quotes

Birthdate (mmddyy)
Gender         State
Plan Year    Tobacco

The MDTAXES Network   (800) 471-0045 ~ fax (800) 547-8836    Email us at cpa@mdtaxes.com