Don’t forget – third quarter estimated taxes are due 9/15.
For anyone paying estimated taxes, we now recommend that you make those payments online. It’s safer than sending the IRS a check, and you receive an instant confirmation that the payment has been processed. Sadly, the IRS hasn’t done a great job lately at processing their mail.
To make the payment online if you haven’t yet set up an account with the IRS, simply:
- Go to irs.gov
- Click on Make a Payment (https://www.irs.gov/payments)
- Click on Pay Now with Direct Debit (https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay)
- Click on Make a Payment (https://directpay.irs.gov/directpay/payment?execution=e1s1)
- Select the following
- Reason for Payment: Estimated Tax
- Apply Payment To: 1040ES
- Tax Period for Payment: 2022
Answer the rest of the questions and you should be all set to make the payment.
Most states also allow you to pay any state estimates due using their Tax Department website.