Third quarter estimated taxes are due 9/15. For anyone paying estimated taxes, we now recommend that you make those payments online. Doing so is much safer than sending the IRS a check, and you receive an instant confirmation that the payment has been processed. Sadly, the IRS hasn’t done a great job processing their mail lately.
Plus, there is a new scam where people steal checks from a mailbox, “wash” the check with specific chemicals to allow them to change just the payee and the amount while keeping the signature intact, and then deposit that fraudulent check into their own bank account to steal the funds. Learn more about check washing at: https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/what-is-check-washing/.
To make the payment online if you haven’t yet set up an account with the IRS, simply:
- Go to irs.gov
- Click on Make a Payment (https://www.irs.gov/payments)
- Click on Pay Now with Direct Debit (https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay)
- Click on Make a Payment (https://directpay.irs.gov/directpay/payment?execution=e1s1)
- Select the following:
- Reason for Payment: Estimated Tax
- Apply Payment To: 1040ES
- Tax Period for Payment: 2023
Answer the rest of the questions and you should be all set to make the payment. Massachusetts and most other states allow you to pay any state estimates due using their Tax Department website.